City of Alexandria Leaf Collection 2009
Get ready – it’s time to rake and recycle in preparation for the City of Alexandria’s 2009 Leaf Collection program. Here are the three ways to recycle your leaves:
1) Rake your leaves to the curb for vacuum truck collection
- Remove stones, litter, branches or other debris
- Avoid placing leaves in from of storm drains, or water meter covers. Move parked cars off of leaf piles.
- Do not use plastic bags – this is for loose leaves only.
- Leaves must be in piles at the curb and visible, not in alleys or service roads.
- Leaves must be raked out before the earliest scheduled collection day for your area.
2) Place leaves in biodegradable bags for collection
- Use only biodegradable bags because they may be shredded and processed into mulch
- Remove dirt, stones, litter and other debris.
- Bags will be collected one business day after regular trash collection days beginning October 27 – January 4.
3) Compost leaves and yard waste
- For detailed information, call the Virginia Extension Service at 703.228.6400.
2009 Alexandria Leaf Collection Service Areas
For specific rake out and start dates in your area, click here.